Texas Lottery Advertising Sensitivity Guidelines
Prohibited Advertisements Restriction in the State Lottery Act
Sec. 466.110. PROHIBITED ADVERTISEMENTS. The legislature intends that advertisements or promotions sponsored by the commission or the division for the lottery not be of a nature that unduly influences any person to purchase a lottery ticket or number.
Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 107, Sec. 4.03(b), eff. Aug. 30, 1993. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 76, Sec. 6.17, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
The Texas Lottery is an agency of the State of Texas, and all advertising efforts shall be conducted in a manner commensurate with the dignity and integrity of the State of Texas and the Texas Lottery brand. Advertising should be consistent with the core values, vision and mission of the Texas Lottery and in accordance with the State Lottery Act. All Texas Lottery advertising is designed in a manner to not unduly influence any person to purchase a lottery ticket or number based on the criteria detailed below.
Advertising should not:
- Unduly influence or over promise the benefits and features of the game or infer that anything other than random chance will result in winning the game via game names, callouts, features or other game elements.
- Depict or represent a change of lifestyle by presenting any Texas Lottery game as a potential means of relieving any person’s financial or personal difficulty by emphasizing wins are a guarantee or substitute for employment.
- Display guns, alcohol, tobacco, improper attire or imply lewd or indecent language, images or actions.
- Portray product abuse, excessive play or preoccupation with gambling by glamorizing frequent or excessive play.
- Imply or portray any illegal activity.
- Make fun of other’s pain, misfortune or impairment or physique.
- Degrade the image or status of persons of any ethnic, minority or religious group.
- Show any form of cruelty and/or abuse of animals.
- Exploit a person, specific group or economic class.
- Create the perception that the Texas Lottery has control over where winning tickets are sold and/or purchased.
- Stereotype Texans.
- Solicit children.
txlottery.org / 800-375-6886 / PLAY RESPONSIBLY
Downloadable Flyer - PLAY RESPONSIBLY (PDF file - 256kb)
Folleto para descargar - JUEGUE RESPONSABLEMENTE (PDF file - 430kb)
This information is provided as a public service.
Contact Us | File a Complaint | ADA | Accessibility | Privacy Statement | Site Map | Social Media Guidelines and Comment Statement | Linking Statement
Texas Veterans Portal
| Texas Amber Alert
| SAO Waste/Fraud Reporting
Must be 18 years or older to purchase a ticket. Copyright © 2018. Texas Lottery Commission. All rights reserved.